There is so much said about “priorities” these days. We can go through life and all its motions and be completely unaware of living a life with the right priorities. When caught with more than one urgent need that requires equal attention, how do we “do” life? How do we “triage” life when God has given the chief priority- “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” (Matt 6:33)
We have all been given second (and third) chances at life. I have been given a second chance at life. This time, I want to do life, right. I want to focus on the right things because of so little time, so little energy and so little life I have ahead of me, yet so high a calling! I need a tool to dissect through the complexities, the tangles that has taken precedence in my life and slitting in open, I want to sort, reorganize and arrange my life with the right priorities.
We cannot keep it perfect all the time. We sway, we stray, we coast through life from time to time. But there should be a reference point for us to come back to or else we would lose it all together. As some one said,“The swinging hand on a clock is only in balance at one point while the fulcrum swings back and forth between the two sides.” That is how life is, we sway as seasons change, we sway as busyness takes over, commitments overrule us, and trials overwhelms us, yet, there should be a fulcrum that we can come to, where we can analyze and reorganize life to abide in Him and bear fruits keeping up with repentance.
- The supreme priority in my life is loving Jesus Christ who is the very essence of God. I live to seek and maintain a vital relationship with Him through daily soaking myself with His word, meditating on them, communing with Him through prayer and committing myself to the local body of believers.
- I will seek to grow spiritual disciplines in my life that are appropriate in the season I am in. Daily quiet time with God and His word, Fasting, Giving, Sacrifice of thanksgiving. Since physical disciplines have some values, they are not to be neglected but will always be guided by and under the right motives. Exercise, eating right, sleep right etc.. are some of the physical disciplines that I have chosen to focus on, their motive guided by the principles of the scripture.
- I will seek to be a helper to my husband. I will consider this as my primary role before children or career. With my words I will bring him honor and respect. I will use all my resources to meet his needs. With my attitudes and disposition I will build him and encourage him to lead. I will engage in only those things I know he approves of. I am not his equal but his helper, therefore I will help him with my abilities and resources to reach his God given potential. In times when I think he does not deserve it, or he is blowing it even after respectfully disagreeing , I will trust God and continue to submit to him and not fear.
- I commit myself to loving my children and consider them as blessings from the Lord. I will consider it the next thing( after God and my husband) in my role to teach them and train them to love God , respect authority and love people. I will seek to instill in them a desire to live purposefully and counter culturally if needed, to fulfill the plans God has for them
- I will seek to recognize, strengthen and nurture their God given potentials and uniqueness, continuously teaching them to add virtues to it.
- I will seek to establish a lifestyle in our home that highly esteems and honor the word of God and deriving all our motive, desires, plans and schedules in the light of and in alignment with the Truth revealed.
- I will cultivate in our lives times for godliness and spirituality by making times to pray together and read God’s word as a family. We will cultivate a peaceful home where God’s presence is sensed and order is maintained, so we could channel our resources invest in building the kingdom of God.
- As a family, we will seek to be good stewards of all blessings and make ourselves available to serve for the edification of the believers, reaching out to the lost, ministries of the church and support to the authorities God has placed over us.
- I will pursue modesty in my speech, dressing and action and in my entertainments.
- In all my relationships, I seek to be guided by brotherly love knowing that love covers a multitude of sins. I will consider others more important than myself and will submit to one another in the body of Christ. I seek to be quick to forgive offenses done against me and work towards pursuing peace.